Save the dates on your calendars! Share with your academic advising friends!
Happy 2018, #AcAdv friends! The @AcAdvChat will be returning in February with a NEW Spring 2018 schedule:
February 13, 2018
February 27, 2018
March 13, 2018
March 27, 2018
April 10, 2018
April 24, 2018
May 8, 2018
May 22, 2018
Join us for our bi-weekly conversations on Tuesdays from 12-1 pm CDT with academic advisors, academic counselors, and those who support students in higher education. The chat TOPICS will vary each TUESDAY we meet to tweet. We welcome faculty, professionals, and other colleagues at your higher education institution or organization to contribute to the conversation. These digital water cooler dialogues on Twitter are open for all to respond OR follow along the stream.
Want to learn what we’ve talked about? Check out the #acadv transcript archives from our past chats. The @AcAdvChat is a great way to share ideas, swap resources, and talk about relevant issues in #highered for supporting learners among a clever network of professionals on Twitter.
Be sure to add the Academic Advising (#acadv) Chat SPRING 2018 SCHEDULE to your calendar now, so you don’t miss this opportunity to chat with other advisors for professional development, learning, and more! Here’s a quick “HOW TO” participate in a Twitter Chat and a Twitter Chat 101 resource for you to brush up on your tweeting skills to help you JOIN our #acadv discussions. Tweet y’all soon!
Follow on Twitter: @AcAdvChat + the hashtag #acadv
Hello #AcAdv Chat-ers!
To mix things up a bit on the #acadv chat discussion thread, our next LIVE chat on Tuesday, November 19, 2014 from 12-1 pm CT will involve an academic advising “common reading.” The purpose of a common reading is engage faculty and practitioners in academic advising in a dialogue about literature and research. This method of professional development encourages scholarly engagement, reflection, problem-solving, and communication among academic advising peers (Schulenberg, Larson & Bermudez, 2010).
Image c/o Flickr member Dennis Skley
For next weeks #AcAdv Chat: Common Reading Discussion, we decided to use a recent academic advising publication from the NACADA Journal (Thanks for the suggestion, @RDScheckel!):
Since some of our #AcAdv Community members might not be part of the NACADA association (for journal access) the author, Keith L. Powers (a.k.a. @KeithPowers_USI
) has graciously shared the pre-print version
for the purpose of next Tuesday’s (11/19) #AcAdv Chat. This pre-print manuscript is openly being shared HERE
, with the caveat that this manuscript is quite different from the final product, the NACADA Journal publication, however the research findings are the same. Thank you for your support and we hope you can join the conversation, Keith!
We hope that you have a chance to READ this article (in either format) in advance of our conversation on Tuesday. We are excited to hear your thoughts, discussions, and ideas about how this scholarly piece can be applied to your academic advising practice. If you have questions for the author, or about this piece, please tweet at @acadvchat
in advance of our chat on Tuesday. Tweet you soon!
Do you make New Year resolutions? Or is it just time to set some goals for the academic semester? Academic advisors often support their student and the success of others; however to do this well it is important to take time to “sharpen the tool” to learn as well.
In the spirit of the new year and improvement, here are 5 quick and easy ways to learn, grow, and develop as an academic advisor with #AcAdv Chat:
- Read the #AcAdv Chat Archives: There is a wealth of great ideas, messages, websites, and resources shared on the #AcAdv Chat Blog from past @AcAdvChat sessions for you to READ in the #AcAdv Chat ARCHIVES.
- Lurk on #AcAdv Chat: Maybe you are new to Twitter and are just learning how to tweet. We want to help you learn more About #AcAdv Chat. If you want to explore Twitter for the professional development check out one of our weekly LIVE sessions every TUESDAY from 12-1 pm CT by following the conversation here: http://tweetchat.com/room/AcAdv
- Sign Up For Twitter & Follow the #AcAdv Community: Get connected with academic advisors who are on Twitter. . Follow @AcAdvChat on Twitter or “like” our #AcAdv Chat Facebook Page. Also connect to a growing group of advisors who participate in @AcAdvChat and often tweet using the #AcAdv hashtag. Here’s a list of advisors on Twitter curated by one of our #AcAdv Chat Moderators.
- Participate in a LIVE #AcAdv Chat: Once you have read a few archives, signed up for your own Twitter account, and witnessed the @AcAdvChat during a LIVE session on Tuesday from 12-1 pm CT –JOIN IN! It will be a moderated (MOD) discussion in a series of Questions (Q) and responses like this:
Question posted by the MOD @AcAdvChat:
Response from #AcAdv Chat Participants using the #AcAdv hashtag:
5. Give #AcAdv Chat Feedback: Tell us what YOU want to discuss during the weekly chats – we LOVE feedback! Or perhaps you want to get involved as an #AcAdv Chat Moderator (MOD) or have another idea for us. Let us know here: https://acadvchat.wordpress.com/feedback/
Hey everyone! It’s your favorite little blue bird checking in after a much-too-short summer break. But, my reappearance can only mean one thing: the #AcAdv Chat is back!
Join us for the 2013-2014 kick-off chat on Tuesday, September 10 from 12-1 CST. Keep your eyes on Twitter for the topic poll coming out later this week.
And while you’re at it, pencil us in on your calendar Tuesdays from 12-1 CST for the entire year!
Introduce your friends to the chat, stretch those tweeting fingers (or wings), and join us for our fourth year of weekly, free professional development. We’ll celebrate our 100th chat on September 17 and have some other new ideas to incorporate this year. It’s sure to be a great one!
‘Tis the season to take a break and get some rest and relaxation…
The @AcAdvChat is taking a break this week, but will return on Tuesday, March 26th from 12-1 pm CDT. If you want to fill the #AcAdv Chat void this week, be sure to read the #AcAdv Chat archives. See you soon!
Due to the pending shut down of Posterous (end of April), the @AcAdvChat crew thought we’d pick up and move the current blog over to WordPress. Check out our NEW blog space:
Please excuse our dust & missing archives of recent transcripts. The #AcAdv Chat MOD-ers are working to edit the new blog and update the valuable @AcAdvChat content for your easy access.
No need to fear. The regular #AcAdv Chat on Tuesdays from 12-1 pm #AcAdv Chat are still a on.Tell your friends. Chat soon!
A BIG thanks for all the academic advising professionals who participated in the 1st #AcAdv Chat on Tuesday. It seems that it was the talk of the advising twitterverse, so it looks like this pilot project will keep on truckin’.
If you missed the conversation, be sure to check out the #AcAdv Chat Archive for Advising & Office Structure. And don’t worry, we will be chatting next Tuesday night from 7-8 pm CST again.
Photo c/o rawsnaps on Flickr
Please vote here for NEXT week’s #AcAdv Chat discussion topic.
Do you have ideas for the #AcAdv Chat discussion topics? Please share your suggestions here.